Ten reasons I love
- The climate – out at dinner last night someone recalled “getting into a cold bed” – we’d all completely forgotten
- The variety – honestly, no two days are the same
- The challenge – anyone who knows me knows how I love a challenge
- Walking – always something amazing, interesting or funny to look at, always someone to talk to
- Fruit – fantastic pineapples, mangoes, passion fruit, tomatoes, bananas, papaya.....
- The work – it’s the work I was born to do
- The smiles – Even if people look somehow serious they are usually grinning within a couple of seconds of greeting
- The colours – green lush vegetation, red soil, blue skies, bright clothes
- The money – at 3400UGX to the £ it’s the only way I’ll ever be a millionaire
- The versatility – everything has value, everything can be mended, everything is reused
Ten reasons I hate
- The corruption – see previous blogs. It’s everywhere
- People die – poverty and ill health takes a massive toll, death is everywhere and often needless
- Dust and diesel – I walk a lot. Dust and diesel fumes are my enemy
- Not enough novels – ran out a while back
- Power sharing and water cuts – part of daily life and a real pain
- Bugs – despite discovering ‘repel’ at a magnificent 55% deet I’m still sporting a fine collection of mozzie bites
- Internet speed – honestly, you can make a cuppa and go to the loo whilst waiting to connect
- An undercurrent of violence – intimidating crowds can gather very quickly
- Timekeeping – shocking and irritating lateness for a type A like me
- The noise – dogs bark, babies cry, birds and frogs sing and people party ALL NIGHT
- “Yes please” – why can’t people just say what they mean?
Yes, I know there are eleven. Can’t decide which one to leave out....time to go home?